Wednesday, May 09, 2012

An Homage and A Prayer for Ayurveda

April 17th. Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spices's birthday...

On that same date, 2 years and 22 days ago, I had set up a fantastic line-up for my band Iritis to be part of. I somehow lured Ayurveda from Ithaca, NY to headline. It was their very first show in the DC area. Local prog metal prodigies Iris Divine rounded out the bill.


Today none of these 3 bands are active anymore.

Life happens... but I was particularly crushed to learn recently that 3 members of Ayurveda had spun off as a different outfit with a new musical direction. You see, the 5 musical alchemists of Ayurveda were true masters of their crafts and together weaved sonic tapestries that defied categorization and often made converts of any first time listeners.
Plus they f'n rocked live.

I'm a picky critical bastard, but damn i love Ayurveda's music.

If you'd like a primer, this video is a good place to start,
feat. the Alash Ensemble Tuvan Throat Singers:



That concert was also the first time I got to witness them live, having made the trek from VA to upstate NY. Beth and I are actually visible in the crowd at 0:07 into the vid.

Well, at least for now we can still revel in their stellar precious few studio releases and numerous live "tapings". The taping from the same concert as the video above is particularly fantastic.

And I shall always harbor hope for a reunion. always.

3 comments:

Colleen Boland said...

So.talented.Such.a.loss.

And I too shall always harbor hope for a reunion...always.

Brett W. McCoy said...

Ah, sad to hear that about Ayurveda. I guess Iritis has gone on hiatus again, too :-(

Anonymous said...

A little nostalgia huh?
These guys may raise your spirits :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-o4h-GFUqQ